Become Wealthier, Healthier and Happier in 2015
How to Set and achieve Your Goals for 2015
It’s that time of year again!
Time to enjoy family and friends, time to revaluate the year gone and to refocus on our goals and aspirations for the new year, whether it is to save a deposit for a home or investment property, or to simply just be a better person.
But why is it that some people can set goals and achieve them a lot easier than other people? People generally, know that they need to do something but just don’t seem to be able to motivate themselves to get things done!
To answer this question you need to understand yourself.
The first thing you have to realise is that yours and everyone’s individual aspirations are different. There are seven billion people in the world and no two fingerprints are ever the same. Some people want to strive to climb to the top of Everest, or to have a multi-million dollar business or property portfolio, and others want to simply be able to get up in the morning to face the world or be able to dress and feed themselves and their family, or contribute to a charity. Each of these aspirations are equally as important to the individual, and just because you make it to the top of Everest and achieved that tremendous goal, this is no better than someone who is facing challenges getting up in the morning to achieve theirs. Both are great individual achievements! So, it really depends on the individual, where that person is in life and what their aspirations are. However, aspirations are just dreams unless you have a system, a plan to help you set your goals and to achieve them.
Here is my system, the one that works for me.
Everyone has different aspirations and goals, each year I summarise them into 2 categories;
- My Personal Goals
- My Business/Financial Goals
- I want to lose weight.
- I want to become healthier and fitter.
- I want to become wealthier.
- I want to be happier.
- I want to go on a holiday.
- I want to recover from this injury.
- I want to be a better father, mother, son or daughter and person.
- I want to climb a mountain.
- I want to achieve the Vision for my business
- I want my Business to grow.
- I want to increase profits.
- I want to pay down my debt.
- I want to add to my property and share portfolio.
- I want to save money for a deposit on a house.
My 10 Simple Tips
Here are my 10 simple tips that I use throughout the year to motivate me and help me to achieve both my personal and financial goals.
- I write them down on a piece of paper and place it somewhere prominent, you will be surprised that once you write them down, how your goals come to fruition.
- I use life experiences as motivation and find a way to turn negatives into positives…, grief, accidents, injury, and health. For example I used the passing of someone close to me as a motivation to achieve a certain goal.
- I publicise what I am doing so that I become accountable to myself and others. Tell your friends and family, people will listen to what you say and will watch what you do so it keeps the pressure on you to perform.
- I always create habits out of the steps to achieve my goal. For example, I want to get fit so I create a habit of waking up early and going for a walk each day, making time to go to the gym every day, and eating the right food. Remember, it takes you doing something 8-9 times repetitively before it starts becoming a habit. You have to be persistent and consistent.
- I take baby steps to achieve the goal. I set out a program that allows me to achieve the goal without getting over ambitious, and I try not to get frustrated when I hit the inevitable setbacks along the way, I dust myself off and go again.
- I understand there are no pictures on scorecards…it doesn’t matter how you get there you just need to get there! Forget how you look in gym gear, runners or swimmers, just get out there and do it.
- I become addicted to the feelings of a natural high…whether it’s reaching the top of the mountain, making a great investment, celebrating a family event, or getting that Christmas bonus cheque.
- I understand that success is just a mindset. We are all different and my goals will be different to others and what I see as being successful may not be the same as what you see but, it’s what I determine is success to me THAT is the most important thing!
- I have pride in myself, you need to be proud of yourself for who you are and what you have done just to get you to this point in life.
- I celebrate success, if I have a win or achieve a milestone in achieving my goals I make sure I celebrate this and reward myself and take others along for the ride.
I hope these tips will in some way help you to motivate, set and achieve the goals you aspire for over the coming year, and as well to make yours and your family’s year the best that it can be.
I think I now know what my dying father was thinking way back on that sunny day in August, as he glanced out the window into the blue sky…he was content with the life he had lived, he had lived every day to the fullest and this brought a smile to his face. What I hope for you and your family is that when you are faced with this inevitable moment in your life you too can look out into the same blue sky and know that you have done the best you can do in your life. Good luck in achieving your goals for 2015 and have a Merry Xmas and a happy and safe New Year.
(Non Executive Director and Co Founder of Chan & Naylor)
Disclaimer: This article contains general information. Before you make any financial or investment decision you should seek professional advice to take into account your individual objectives, financial situation and individual needs.