As they say people do not plan to fail they simply fail to plan.
In the spirit of trying to help Accountants manage their workflow for FY2017: you either take charge and manage your clients or you let them manage you.
If you let them manage you, they will drag you into their nightmare
To try and smooth out the workload throughout the year you should be doing the following right now:
- Send letters to clients now advising which month you would like them to send their work in for the next 12 months.
- Get your staff to schedule out their workload for the next 2 weeks and beyond, example scoping the clients jobs with hours required to complete the jobs and put each client and hours into their calendar for the next 2 weeks minimum and beyond.
- You know from experience which clients will and which ones are poor in doing this. If 80% follow this than your life is easy and you can simply manage the last 20%.
- You should than call the slow ones before your staff workload runs out. Don’t wait till it runs out to call.
- Ensure everyone has 2 weeks worth of work on their calendar’s. If it starts to drop below this you should be taking action. You should never let it drop below 2 weeks.
- Management from bottom up means you educate your staff that they should be scheduling their calendars with the work load each day and they should be coming to you when their calendars drop below 2 weeks. In addition you should be checking their calendars to make sure it’s completed for minimum 2 weeks.
- Another letter to your clients should go out around January next year.
At Chan & Naylor we have two exciting business opportunities on offer for Accountants:
1) Selling a Parcel of Fees? We’re buying!
Our Joint Venture Partners are on the look-out to buy parcel of fees and support your smooth transition into retirement – you’ll get a fair price and we’ll deal with your clients with the utmost respect.
Firms in these areas are of particular interest to us:
- North Sydney, NSW
- Parramatta, NSW
- Bankstown, NSW
- Pymble, NSW
- Sydney, CBD
2) Want to take your established firm to the next level?
Becoming a Joint Venture Partner in the Chan & Naylor Group means that your Accounting firm receives executive and marketing support to assist you to grow your business and take it to the next level. Learn more about the Joint Venture Partnership Program here.
This is an exclusive invitation to eligible firms only of the right size (minimum $800,000 p.a in fees) and cultural fit.
There are only 7 exclusive locations left to fill and once these are taken we will close the recruitment process and focus on growing these firms:
- Gold Coast
- Sunshine Coast
- Canberra / ACT
Click here to register your interest with Ed Chan.
Disclaimer: This article contains general information; before you make any financial or investment decision you should seek professional advice to take into account your individual objectives, financial situation and individual needs. Click for more detail regarding this disclaimer.