Transfers from a Foreign Super Fund to an Australian Super Fund blog image

Transfers from a Foreign Super Fund to an Australian Super Fund

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Mail Us

If you want to transfer an amount from a foreign super fund to a complying Australian super fund, it may be subject to tax and other obligations in the foreign country. The amount may count towards one or both of the contribution caps and you may be asked to pay excess contributions tax.

If your fund receives a lump sum from a foreign super fund, the member may have some or all of the assessable part of the lump sum treated as assessable income of your fund. You may only transfer between a foreign super fund and an Australian super fund if you meet certain conditions.

For people aged 65 years old and above at the time of the transfer, the complying Australian super fund may only accept the contribution if the work test is met. The work test requires an individual to have worked for a minimum of 40 hours within 30 consecutive days in a financial year. Meanwhile, Australian super funds of those under 65 years old may accept the contribution even if they are not working.

The Australian super fund may not accept a transfer from a foreign fund unless the Australian tax file number or TFN has been given. You may also give your TFN within 30 days of the foreign transfer. If the Australian super fund does not have your TFN, the whole amount should be returned to the foreign fund.

If the Australian super fund receives an amount from a foreign fund which is over the fund-capped contribution limit, the excess amount has to be returned to the foreign fund within 30 days. This is to avoid exceeding the non-concessional contributions cap. The fund-capped contribution limit for those 65 years and above is the non-concessional contributions cap for the financial year while for those 64 years and below, it is three times the non-concessional contributions cap for the financial year.

Related:  Transitioning to Retirement

Note that you may not claim a personal contribution deduction for any part of the amount transferred from a foreign fund and that your Australian super fund may not accept member contribution for people aged 75 or more.

For more information about superannuation in Australia, contact a Specialist to discuss your particular circumstances.

If you like what you are reading, subscribe to our newsletters now at or follow our Facebook page:

Chan & Naylor Group has national offices in Brisbane and Capalaba in Queensland, Melbourne and Moonee Ponds in Victoria, East Perth in Western Australia, and BankstownParramattaPymbleNorth Sydney, and Sydney in New South Wales.



Photo: Flickr

Source: ATO



The material on this website has been prepared for general information purposes only and not as specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained on this website is General Advice and does not take into account any person’s particular investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs. Before making an investment decision based on this advice you should consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether it is appropriate to your particular investment needs, objectives and financial circumstances. In addition, the examples provided on this website are provided for illustrative purposes only.

Although every effort has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained on this website, lnfocus, its officers, representatives, employees and agents disclaim all liability [except for any liability which by law cannot be excluded), for any error, inaccuracy in, or omission from the information contained in this website or any loss or damage suffered by any person directly or indirectly through relying on this information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join our mailing list today!

Keep up to date with our latest news & updates!