Dividends are sums of money paid regularly (ideally on a quarterly basis) by a company to its shareholders out of their profits. But do you know that there are 2 types of dividends?
Here are 2 types of dividends: Franked Dividends and Unfranked dividends
- A Franked Dividend means the dividend has a tax credit attached to them whereas
- An Unfranked Dividend does not have a tax credit attached to it.
A Franked Dividend increases the return substantially. Dividend imputation was introduced in 1987 to end the double taxation of company profits. Under this new system, tax paid by companies was attributed or imputed to investors.
When companies pay part of their earnings in the form of dividends, shareholders pay tax on the income at their marginal tax rate. But if the company has already paid tax on the income at the company level, the tax office gives shareholders a personal tax credit called a “franking credit”.
Companies pay tax at 30% which leaves 70% cash which can be paid as a dividend to shareholders.
If it’s a Franked Dividend, it will include a credit of 30% which represents the tax that has already been paid by the company.
When investors fill in their tax return, they declare a grossed-up dividend of $1, by adding the franking credits (30 cents) to the cash (70 cents) they already received.
If you pay tax at the superannuation rate of 15¢ in the dollar, you will receive a 15¢ tax refund because the company has already paid 30¢ on your behalf. This will give you a grossed-up (after-tax) dividend of 85¢ (the original 70¢ dividend plus 15¢ tax rebate).
If you pay tax at the top marginal rate, you will end up paying tax of just 16.5¢ (46.5¢ less the 30¢ already paid at the company level). You end up with an after-tax dividend of 53.5¢ (the original 70¢ dividend less 16.5¢ in tax).
Dividends can be fully or partly franked, depending on the amount of tax the company has already paid.
There are no credits for tax paid on overseas earnings, so a company that earns its income overseas or pays no tax in Australia pays unfranked dividends.
Some banks are paying dividends of 9% after franking credits are taken into account which is a lot better return than putting your money with them as a deposit which may currently be returning you 1%-2% interest.
Click here to learn why ALP’s proposed policy changes on Franking credits could have cost them the 2019 Australian Federal Election.
For more information about franked and unfranked dividends, visit this page on the www.chan-naylor.com.au website or contact your nearest Chan & Naylor accountant to discuss your circumstances in relation to this matter.
If you would like to know more about franked and unfranked dividends, you can click here to know more about Chan & Naylor services. You can leave your details here and we can schedule you for a free consultation. We’ll contact you to explain more.
Whether you are a beginner, seasoned investor or business owner, we can give you guidance to maximise the financial areas of your life. We can give you an integrated and tailored solution of your superannuation, taxation, property investment, asset protection, estate planning and more.
Chan & Naylor Group has national offices in Brisbane and Capalaba in Queensland, Melbourne and Moonee Ponds in Victoria, East Perth in Western Australia, and South West Sydney, Parramatta, Pymble, North Sydney, and Sydney in New South Wales.
Ed Chan – Founder & Non-Executive Chairman Chan & Naylor Accountants
Disclaimer: This article contains general information; before you make any financial or investment decision you should seek professional advice to take into account your individual objectives, financial situation and individual needs. Click for more detail regarding this disclaimer.
The material on this website has been prepared for general information purposes only and not as specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained on this website is General Advice and does not take into account any person’s particular investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs. Before making an investment decision based on this advice you should consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether it is appropriate to your particular investment needs, objectives and financial circumstances. In addition, the examples provided on this website are provided for illustrative purposes only.
Although every effort has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained on this website, lnfocus, its officers, representatives, employees and agents disclaim all liability [except for any liability which by law cannot be excluded), for any error, inaccuracy in, or omission from the information contained in this website or any loss or damage suffered by any person directly or indirectly through relying on this information.